Thursday, April 12, 2012

Gaffney's

When my friend and I walked in to Gaffney's for lunch, the first thing I noticed was suits. Lots of suits. Everyone in there was dressed to impress, I had no idea that Gaffney's was such a hot spot for business folk to grab some lunch. Normally I think of the bar crowd - the drunk college kids and free but slightly stale popcorn at the door. I was excited to see Gaffney's as more of a restaurant and check out what they had to offer in terms of food.

When we walked in it was one of those awkward situations where we didn't know if we should just sit down or if we had to wait to be seated or what. After lingering for a little while by the front door the waitress said hello and pointed at one of the empty tables. We didn't really see much of our waitress, I think she was the only one there and she was running around from table to table. I'm pretty sure when she came to take our order she said something like "alright so what do you want today?". Don't get me wrong, she was very nice, maybe they just needed another waitress to help out?

Looking at the classic American menu, I was impressed that there were as many vegetarian options as there were. My friend got the eggplant special which was stacked eggplant with mozzarella and spinach over spaghetti.



I could have gone for a little more sauce but overall the dish was pretty good (and a great price, I think our bill totaled up to $14!). I was also impressed by the amount of food she got, sometimes lunch entrees are on the smaller side but I thought it was the perfect amount of food to get you going again for your afternoon. Eggplant and mozzarella with pasta is such a great comfort food, it always hits the spot.

I ended up getting the Grilled Portobello Mushroom that was big chunks of grilled mushroom on ciabatta with caramelized onions and gorgonzola. It also came with a side salad that I got with sun dried tomato vinaigrette.



I really enjoyed this dish, I thought it was full of flavor and extremely filling. I was so full I barely even touched the salad, but I was still excited about the sun dried tomato dressing. So even though I really liked this dish I feel like it's important that I talk about what happened next. And by next I mean until about ten o'clock that night. I don't know what it was about the dish, but my stomach was all sorts of funky for the rest of the day. I know I normally have a fairly sensitive stomach, but this was definitely more than your average indigestion after a meal. Nothing tasted like it had gone bad or anything, maybe the cheese was a little off? Whatever it was, it certainly put a damper on the rest of my day.

Because of that, I may have to wait a little while before going back to Gaffney's. It's a shame because the price was right and there were a lot of other things on the menu that I would have loved to try. I was particularly eyeing a lot of their appetizers, it looked like a fun place to go after work with friends and order a bunch of small plates for the table along with a healthy amount of beer. If you check out the first post I ever wrote for Savoring Saratoga I talked about how much I liked their calamari and happy hour. Oh well Gaffney's, once my stomach has recuperated I'll try back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment